Installing Type I fonts in Windows XP

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Fri Nov 21 09:46:49 CET 2003

On Nov20 11:10PM, Christina Thiele wrote:

<snip>
> The AFM files are in:
> c:\yandy\FONTS\AFM
>
> The TFM files are in:
> c:\yandy\FONTS\TFM\TeXnNASI\tfm
>
> The PFM files are in:
> c:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> and in
> c:\yandy\FONTS\PFM
>
> The PFB files are in:
> c:\WINDOWS\Fonts
>
> I want to make a whole file run with this font, but am not sure what
> I need to do next.  Do I insert a '\newfont{\???}{name at size} into
> the preamble, and/or do I use a \usepackage{???}?

what did you get besides the afm, tfm, pfm and pfb files ??
anything?

> There's also a LaTeX document called `LaTeX 2e font selection', with a
> filename of fntguide.tex. Look for it on your machine/CD and print it
> up. That probably has the blow-by-blow gory details. And also check
> your c:\yandy...\psnfss folder, I think it is, for stuff that's more
> Y&YTeX-specific.

excellent advice

you can also go to http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/doc/
    fntguide.  (dvi,pdf,ps or tex)

> What is the latex name for NewBaskerville anyway?  Is it 'pnb' or
> something else?

well, on my unix box there is a   basker.sty file which reads:
--------------------
%
%% This is file `basker.sty',
%% generated with the docstrip utility.
%%
%% The original source files were:
%%
%% adobe.dtx  (with options: `basker')
%%
%% Copyright (C) 1995--2001 Sebastian Rahtz
%% All rights reserved.
%%
%% This is a generated file.  Permission is granted to to customize the
%% declarations in this file to serve the needs of your installation.
%% However, no permission is granted to distribute a modified version of
%% this file under its original name.
%%
\ProvidesPackage{basker}
[2001/02/07 (SPQR)]
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{pnb}
\endinput
%%
%% End of file `basker.sty'.
-------

but hopefully inside the   nbaskerv   directory there is one
    for   nbasker.sty or something equivalent... otherwise just
    edit this one...

> This is the first time I've done a complete change of font like this, so
> excuse me if I'm asking dumb questions.

I've not done this either so when you get it all figured out,
please share  ;-)

I think that basically you need

1) you need to read the c:\yandy\DOC-MISC\encoding.txt and psfonts.txt
    ... in addition to the manual and technical addendum.
2) there is good documentation in the DVIPSONE\ directory as well,
    with regard to DVIPSONE re-encoding the tfm files ...   hopefully
    you won't need to go that far  ;-)

with Windowx XP I believe you can use the "lite" version of ATM...
  this might help with the displaying issue

3)  in the c:\yandy\dvips\psnfssx folder is where I found the
       basker.sty file on my unix box - so that is where I'd put
       it...    You also need a "basker.map" file in there -
       maybe cloned from one of the  other map files...

4) you might want to go to  http://ctan.tug.org   and
   get the contents of

    http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archives/fonts/psfonts/adobe/nbaskerv/

you can download entire directories- so be careful what you choose  ;-)

I don't think I'd use their tfm fonts though...

read the readme files, and put the necessary  .fd and map and
config files where all the others are on your system...

hope this helps - it is sort of  "rambling" and I've done none of
these things on my system, so I can't say for sure...

mimi