Installing Type I fonts in Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Nov 20 23:10:09 CET 2003

David Ireland writes:

> Dear Christina and all,
>
> I have followed your earlier instructions and installed the New Baskerville
> font on my Windows XP machine....but can't get it to work.  Following your
> instructions and tying this up with the technical addendum and what it says
> in the Companion, I end up with files named NBR.*, NBI.*, NBBI.* and NBB.*
> :
>
> The AFM files are in:
> c:\yandy\FONTS\AFM
>
> The TFM files are in:
> c:\yandy\FONTS\TFM\TeXnNASI\tfm
>
> The PFM files are in:
> c:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> and in
> c:\yandy\FONTS\PFM
>
> The PFB files are in:
> c:\WINDOWS\Fonts
>
> I want to make a whole file run with this font, but am not sure what I need
> to do next.  Do I insert a '\newfont{\???}{name at size} into the preamble,
> and/or do I use a \usepackage{???}?

You know, there are ly1***.fd files on the CD. These seem to be the
files that help channel or route new fonts into the known command
structure of TeX: b, bx, it, and so on. There's an ly1.txt file (I
think) which details how to do these things ... I wonder if all you do
is set up a clone of it for Baskerville.

There are sample files to demonstrate the use of LucidaBright. Why
don't you look at the .tex source files to see what's in the preamble?
That might give you some clues too.

Have you got any LaTeX books handy? I'm just thinking that perhaps one
of them might give a comprehensible ;-) overview of how a new font
family needs to be set up.

There's also a LaTeX document called `LaTeX 2e font selection', with a
filename of fntguide.tex. Look for it on your machine/CD and print it
up. That probably has the blow-by-blow gory details. And also check
your c:\yandy...\psnfss folder, I think it is, for stuff that's more
Y&YTeX-specific.

> What is the latex name for NewBaskerville anyway?  Is it 'pnb' or something
> else?

I think so ... I saw something about it somewhere -- just don't
remember now where. You know, you could always do a search of CTAN for
`Baskerville' and see what comes up ... oh, well, I mean, other than
the UKTUG's journal of that name!

> This is the first time I've done a complete change of font like this, so
> excuse me if I'm asking dumb questions.

I don't think these are dumb at all. They're very instructive. But I'm
beginning to think that yes, you need a Baskerville-specific .fd file,
since such critters already exist for Times (ly1ptm.fd) and Helvetica
(ly1phv.fd). And I think I've seen .fd files for Lucida Bright too
... it's past 11pm and I don't have the laptop on -- it takes an age
to fire up! But explore the machine for ly1* and see what you come up
with.

> Thanks for your patience and help!

Well, you're being pretty patient too, you know. So far, you haven't
gotten this idea of a Baskerville-only set-up outlined in complete
detail. I think it's a worthwhile instruction set to evolve, because
there's no reason we shouldn't be going out and using fonts beyond the
default set. I've done books in Pandora, for example -- a lovely font
that's rarely used, but a Metafont original but not in 2e so I
wouldn't know where to begin to to set it up if it weren't for this
discussion.