Installing Type I fonts in Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Nov 13 20:38:16 CET 2003

Neil A Weiss writes:

> Hello,
>
> We just got a new computer and it runs Windows XP (Home Edition).
>
> I think that you've addressed Windows XP installation issues previously,
> but we just want to be sure that we install our new version of Y&Y
> properly.
>
> * First, we install the fonts by choosing File > Install New Font . . .
> in
> the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder.  Correct?

Yes.

> * We have Type I fonts already on our hard disk. Those are the fonts
> that we want to install, *not* the ones on the Y&Y TeX CD. Our pfb
> files are in C:\psfonts and our pfm files are in C:\psfonts\pfm. Does
> Windows want the pfm files or the pfb files? In other words, after we
> choose File > Install New Font . . . in the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder,
> do we point Windows to the C:\psfonts folder or to the C:\psfonts\pfm
> folder?

The Technical Addendum states (p.5) that

   PFB and PFM files are required for viewing in DVIWindo, and both
   are required for printing from DVIWindo using a Windows Postscript
   driver. DVIPSONE, on the other hand, requires only the PFB files.

So, I'd say you need both. And your paths for both are correct. If
you've got icons set up you may well see font filenames with a
lowercase red-a in front of them. These are the .pfb files. I
_believe_ that the installation process on XP machines, as with ATM
for the less-evolved OSs ;-) , takes care of generating and placing
the .pfm files in the appropriate spot.

Not being familiar with XP, I think I'd install the .pfb files but
have Explorer (or whatever the XP equivalent is) open to keep tabs on
what's being stashed into c:\psfonts\pfm. That is, I'd be confident
enough that the .pfbs were going to the right place, but I'd want to
make sure the .pfms were too.

As for where to `point' Windows when/during/after installing, I
believe it's to c:\psfonts -- the installation is based on the pfb
files; the pfms, from what I can figure out, are a second-level item
that's placed once the .pfb's been properly settled into place.

> * After the fonts are copied (installed) to the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> folder, we then install Y&Y itself, right?

Yes. Now, if your Y&YTeX dates from the past 6 months, I'd suggest you
do the basic installation, and then the LaTeX installation, but leave
the CTAN portion out for now. You can always add that stuff later
... but we know that there's a bug in the install script for the CTAN
portion, and it's not clear to me whether this just means that
boites.sty won't be installed, or if the glitch has further
ramifications for final installation. So leave off the CTAN bit.

If you've been on this forum for a while, you might want to also go
back to find a message with `bug-fixes.txt' in it -- it's a list of
fixes that I found I had to make for my installation ... and I'd gone
ahead with the CTAN install -- so perhaps some of my `bugs' are just
symptoms of that boites.sty stumble. In any event, use it as a
reference to double-check that things are as they should be.

But you know -- it sounds like you have the right plan already laid
out, so go ahead and install ;-)