Font question: New Baskerville for Y&Y

David Ireland david at davidireland.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 00:01:03 CET 2003

Dear Norbert, Robin and Christina,

Thanks for your responses.

There is a lot of information in the Technical Addendum, but this all seems
to assume you are using ATM.  I'm working on an XP machine and Y&Y and
apparently that means I shouldn't work with it.

>\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{pnb}
>Probably you should also use *above* this line:
>\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

Tried that nice simple looking solution, but I'm afraid it didn't work.

>The Fontinstallation Guide
>on CTAN

I have a copy of this now, and it is just as unclear as the Technical
Addendum.  But I'll work through and see if I can make any sense of them.

>you derive a set of y&y .tfm files from the .afm files;
>you get_those_ from the adobe site if you didn't have
>them in the first place.

They files they provided were
NBBI____.pfb
NBB____.pfb
NBR____.pfb
NBI____.pfb
NBBI____  (no file extension shown, but Windows lists as 'Type 1 font file)
NBB____
NBR____
NBI____

Are these last four the .afm files?  Can I just rename them as .afm files?
The rest of the files I have came from
ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/tex/uk-tex/fonts/psfonts/adobe/baskervi/
.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

>The necessary conversion utilities are all in c:\yandy\utils

I took a look in the folder but am not sure which utilities I need.

I'm surprised this is apparently so difficult and find it hard to believe
that I'm the first person to come across this.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.  When a solution is found I'll
write an idiots' guide for future reference.

Regards

David