More from Antoniou: That Win2000 font problem

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Mar 27 14:33:42 CET 2003

Robin Fairbairns writes:

> > on the home page, http://www.yandy.com/ there was a large note saying:
> >
> > (*) Do NOT try to install ATM 4 for NT 4.0 in Windows 2000 Pro or
> >     Windows XP!
> >
> > while,
> >     http://www.yandy.com/version22.htm     says:
> >  [...]
> > Simple installation: Right click on the CD icon and select from the
> > menu: (i) install ATM and fonts, and then (ii) install the TeX System.
> >  [...]
>
> of course, version 2.2 can presumably run on old systems, in which
> case atm _will_ be necessary.

The issue is not version 2.2 -- the issue is whether the OS is
Win2000/XP or not. If yes, then don't use ATM to install the fonts. If
not, use ATM as for v.2.1. But what perhaps isn't so clearly stated is
how ATM is then used, if at all, in fact, to help keep fonts for
Y&YTeX sorted and separate from, say, TrueTypes on the same machine.

> in a way, anyway.  aiui[*], a font to be used by windows has to be in
> some table of known fonts (probably the registry).  on a 2k system,
> there's no need for atm in order to use type1 fonts, and windows font
> installation copes with them.  on earlier systems, the system didn't
> cope with type1 fonts, and atm did the installation process for such
> fonts, as well as rendering them.

The smaller manual on p.4, in the general installation remarks, says:

   ATM rasterizes the fonts for on screen display as well as when
   printing to non-PS devices. On Windows 2000 Pro, the Type 1 font
   rasterizer is built-in, and Type 1 fonts can be installed by
   dragging them to the `fonts' folder.

Then there's a section just for Win2000 (p.5):

   2.2 Installing fonts without ATM -- Windows 2000

   In Windows 2000 Pro you can use Type 1 fonts using the built-in ATM
   rasterizer. To install the fonts drag the .pfm files --- the ones
   with the red `a' icon --- from the folder on the CD to the `\fonts'
   folder -- subfolder of your `winnt' folder. Whenever a font is
   dropped into the `fonts' folder, it is automatically
   registered. This can be done conveniently1 starting from `My
   Computer'Open the `c:\winnt\fonts' folder in one window and the
   folder with the fonts on the CD in the other (perhaps by starting
   again from `My Computer'). Alternatively, you may prefer to use
   Windows Explorer. Explorer can be reached from `Start > Programs.'

So yes, Win2000/XP takes care of the registering of the fonts.

But what role does ATM have once Y&YTeX's been installed?