More from Antoniou: That Win2000 font problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 16:57:04 CET 2003

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:24:08AM -0500, Christina Thiele wrote:
>
> > Then carry on with my reply to him on points 3 to 5. I had also come
> > to the same question: if ATM isn't needed for font installation with
> > v.2.2, what role does it play/must it play after installation?
> >

>   well there is/was documentation on the web that is contradictory
>   I believe...
>

> on the home page, http://www.yandy.com/ there was a large note saying:
>
> (*) Do NOT try to install ATM 4 for NT 4.0 in Windows 2000 Pro or
>     Windows XP!
>
> while,
>     http://www.yandy.com/version22.htm     says:
>  [...]
> Simple installation: Right click on the CD icon and select from the
> menu: (i) install ATM and fonts, and then (ii) install the TeX System.
>  [...]

of course, version 2.2 can presumably run on old systems, in which
case atm _will_ be necessary.

> I believe their is a tad bit of confusion here ...   I "think"  ATM
> is used for "rendering" fonts...

i don't deny there's confusion, but atm is indeed used for installing.

in a way, anyway.  aiui[*], a font to be used by windows has to be in
some table of known fonts (probably the registry).  on a 2k system,
there's no need for atm in order to use type1 fonts, and windows font
installation copes with them.  on earlier systems, the system didn't
cope with type1 fonts, and atm did the installation process for such
fonts, as well as rendering them.

robin

[*] i have this copy of "inside windows 2000", signed by the authors.
this is the second thing today i've felt i need to look up in it.