bibtex is alive!

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Mar 25 11:42:32 CET 2003

I got it! I had to use the command-line prompt approach but I got it!

Hurray!!!! Other than that one undefined citation in Stanislas' test
file (not a bibtex problem), it worked just fine. But only from
command line. I have to spend a bit more time reading through the docs
again for setting up a pull-down menu option.

=====

OK. So, we have a working bibtex.exe file, and a totally restructured
c:\yandy\bibtex directory, file contents, and updates to the .ini file
to cover.

Now, how to get this stuff distributed?

1. via the website (Y&Y's, not Mimi's):

As my very long message of yesterday pointed out, the bibtexdir.zip
file that we got from Berthold, when unzipped, seemed to have all the
materials in directories as they exist -- perhaps -- on the
development machine, but there was that last lower-case `yandy' folder
which seemed to reflect the structure of an actual user's installation
setup.

So. Distribution via a .zip file should perhaps be done to reflect the
user-level hierarchy. Then instructions (perhaps some or a
modification of what I've already written) on how things should
finally appear on a user's machine, along with the instructions on
changes to the dviwindo.ini file (also pretty much done).

2. On Blenda's machine, for correct distribution via CDs:

   Blenda, take a look at the existing stuff on your machine,
   and if you can, make a printout of the directory listing
   for c:\yandy\bibtex and then each of its subdirectories.
   That'll give you a hardcopy of not only the filenames but also
   their dates and sizes. Mark the printout as `OLD' ;-) and keep it
   for reference/comparison against the new files.

   As you're deathly afraid of viruses, which past history indicates
   is perfectly justified, perhaps we should ship you a CD with
   all the files (essentially an unzipped version of bibtexdir.zip)
   and that should keep anything away from your main machine used
   for producing CDs.

   Mimi, if you want to do that, fine. But it's also possible, I think,
   for me to get Mike to do that as well. I'll find out. It would be
   good to know, in any event, if we can do this sort of thing here --
   I'm a firm believer in back-up plans ;-)

3. Distributing this information to existing users:

   a. an announcement via c.t.t. and so on -- might this be viewed as
      a negative announcement, that a bibtex problem is only now being
      fixed in Y&YTeX?  The files here date from ... damn! In
      copying them to my machine, they all acquired the date of
      copying. Bugger ... so I'm no help there ... But maybe Mimi's
      directory has the dates still intact. In any event, I think some
      of the items are at least two years old ... ;-(

   b. just wait till a complaint comes in?

   c. sending out e-mail saying that a bibtex upgrade is available
      from the website?

   This last could be used as a good opportunity to also inform users
   about the `Forum' mailing list (aha! A hybrid label ;-)).

====

Right now, I think the important thing is to get this stuff out in
some form to Delayen and to Stanislas, even though it's very much
after their initial queries.

Other/better suggestions?