[support@yandy.com: FW: Resent "help" message]

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 17 10:40:11 CET 2003

I think this should be circulating in `techsupport' so I've changed
the address.

Mimi Burbank writes:

> I'm not sure what to reply to this person - it seems she has a
> mishmash of new and old Y&Y installations -   My suggestion
> (and understanding) would be to completely unisntall the old
> version -   because I believe all the fonts are in  C:\psfonts
> and then do a complete install from the new CD...  and use the
> dviwindo.ini that is created with the new install... not reuse
> the old one....

I agree about the mish-mash. I'd also suggest that she uninstall
Y&YTeX AND the fonts -- AFTER she's confirmed that all the fonts she
wants are indeed on the CD. I think that because the previous fonts
were installed most likely via ATM, they are likely to have been set
up differently. Under Windows, ATM is no longer needed -- and indeed,
we've seen the instructions keep saying to uninstall ATM until
Y&YTeX's been installed.

So suggested steps at this stage (not having anything to do with
deciphering her error messages -- just an attempt to get back to a
clean install) might include:

1. rename dviwindo.ini to dviwindo-old2-2.ini (or some such)

2. uninstall Y&YTeX 2.2 via the normal Win2000 mechanism

3. confirm that 2.2 CD has all the font folders she needs.
      If any are absent, then locate the 2.1 CD and have it ready for
      a fresh installation

4. READ AND FOLLOW the Installation instructions on pp.4-5 of the
   smaller manual on font installation -- these have to be done
   BEFORE Y&YTeX is installed. Start with the 2.2 CD and then add
   anything left over from the 2.1 CD.

5. Now go ahead and install 2.2 again. For production purposes,
   I'd recomment she install every LaTeX option box there is!
   Including 2.09 -- you never know when an old file may come along
   and you need to see what it's doing before upgrading its code.

   The new install will write a fresh dviwindo.ini file. Details on
   the .ini file's entries are on pp.11-17 of the smaller manual. It
   looks horribly intimidating, but if you go through it, line by
   line, a general sense of understanding can/will ;-) develop.

   any differences.

7. Now try processing some files to see if things have settled down.
   The FAQ portion of the Technical Addendum (pp.68-76) has several
   queries related to fonts, which may be helpful. As well, there are
   two FAQs up on the website (www.yandy.com) under Support -- while
   nominally on separate topics, there is always some overlap between
   `font' and `system' topics (as well as some duplication with the
   printed FAQ). Printing the FAQs up can make it easier to consult
   and compare various questions and answers.

=======

That should at least give her something to work with. But the simply
moving of font folders was probably not a good idea.