DVIWindo

Andreas Antoniou aantoniou at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 16 22:17:03 CET 2003

--Boundary_(ID_1KM7KNt/9fY4iyJasRaLxQ)

At 07:24 AM 3/13/2003 Thursday, you wrote:
>Andreas Antoniou writes:

> > Chistina:
> >
> > Unfortunately, it did not work.
> >
> > I think there are evil forces at work, for example, some incompatibility
> > between Windows 2000 Professional on this HP Windows Workstation and the
> > Y&Y TeX System.
> >
> > I corrected the path to C:\psfonts as you suggested.
>
>To my great chagrin, I have found that the many differences between
>your ini file and mine are in fact `normal' -- a colleague sent me
>hers for comparison and it is the same as yours on every point where
>mine is not ;-(
>
> > Recall that Y&Y TeX works on my laptop, at least, the font problems we are
> > discussing do not show up
> > on your previwer DVIWindo.  So I copied the psfonts directory (or folder)
> > with all its contents from my laptop to C:\ on my Windows 2000 machine,
> but
> > the encoding problem persists.
>
>Hmmm ... I wonder if the copying act was not a good plan. To avoid
>perhaps `contamination' between one machine and its different
>applications and the other, would you be up for uninstalling all the
>fonts on the Win2000 machine, and reinstalling from the source CD?

Christina:

Yes, I had two types of computer modern fonts in folder \fonts: TrueType
and Type 1.  However, your FAQs pointed out about a possible conflict
between them and, in fact, this is one of the very first checks I
performed.  I removed ALL the TypeType fonts from \fonts.  The complaining
stopped but DVIwindo continued to have the encoding problem we are trying
to solve.

I have also tried the opposite, i.e., I removed all the Type1 fonts from
\fonts.  No problem while running latex.  However, DVIwindo seems to want
its fonts to reside in \fonts.  Is that so? Please confirm.  Or is there a
way to tell DVIwindo to look for fonts in some other folder.

Unfortunately, in the final analysis, I need to keep the TrueType computer
modern fonts in \fonts because I need to use these fonts in my
illustrations which are produced with my graphics software Illustrator
10.   Strangely, Illustrator 10 does not work too well with Type1 fonts.

>Something which has puzzled me since looking at the .pdf screen shot
>you included a few days ago. It showed a button at the bottom labelled
>`MikTeX'. Are you in fact running two TeX versions on the same machine
>... but ony Y&YTeX on your laptop?

Good detective work here.  Bravo.  MikTeX is a desperate attempt on my part
to get on with my book writing.  The software was recommended to me by the
typesetting agency that will produce my book. Unfortunately,  the DVIWindo
problem existed long before I installed MikTeX on my computer and,
therefore, it goes without saying that it is not a conflict between the two
that is causing the problem.

In fact, MikTeX does not even use folder \fonts.  It works totally with tfm
forms and it keeps safely out of harms way in its own home directory.

>I ask because there is one last area of examination that has come to
>mind and it is the nasty interference that one suffers if one's fonts
>are available in TTF format rather than Type1 -- Windows likes TTF and
>will go for 'em unless thwarted. I have some old mail on the subject
>-- I had to install Y&YTeX on a machine which had previously had
>PCTeX, which does use TT fonts. Unfortunately, I have to work on other
>things for most of the day today.

The TrueType fonts do originate from PCTeX but I was not happy with that
software and never installed it on my Windows 2000 Machine.  I just sneaked
the fonts in folder \fonts for use with Illustrator 10.  But as I mentioned
already, in one of the tests, I removed all the TrueType fonts from \fonts
but it did not make any difference to the DVIWindo problem.

>In the meantime, perhaps you could check your machine for font files
>with TT (in blue) in your font directories. And then, if you could
>look at all the queries in FAQ (Font Topics) at the website that
>related to TTF font interference, you may already be able to determine
>whether the problem(s) are looking familiar. If yes, then I will find
>the mail and we will work to keep them out of Y&YTeX's path --
>literally!

Between our emails, I have tried to see if I could get MikTeX to work for
me.  Unfortunately, the macros I use for my book, which were designed by
the typesetting agency in charge, use MathTime 1.1 and MathTime Plus fonts
and guess what, MikTeX could not find those fonts!  However, I just go
lucky on  Thursday, March 11 (a very historic day) .  I continued to have a
printing problem until Friday, March 14, when I got lucky again and solved
the printing problem (another historic day).  There is another minor
problem with MikTeX that concerns the handling of postscript files but I
have a workaround.

It would have been nice to get DVIWindow to work because of the wonderful
facilities it offers in regard to fonts, e.g., view fonts, etc., but now
that I got MiKTeX to work, I think I should push on with my book writing.

If you could think of some solution of the DVIwindo problem, let me
know.  I will really appreciate it.  Otherwise, it bytes the dust.

One last question,  under fonts, DVIwindo offers the following facilities:

    Write AFM
    Write TFM
    Write All AFM
    Write All TFM

Would there be any scope in trying one of these commands, say the last one?

Just for your information, yap, the previewer of MikTeX, will produce a
perfect preview of a dvi file produced by the Y&Y Tex system.

Andreas