where is latex 2e

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Mar 12 12:43:50 CET 2003

Robin Fairbairns writes:

> > I have version 2.1.5. I bought tex the program in 1999. Do I have
> > latex 2e. I have been running 2.09 all this time. If I do have it,
> > how do I load it. If I don't have it, I want to get it. If I do need
> > to reload the program, I don't want to kill my files. I would like
> > to talk on the phone if I may.  Please respond quickly.
>
> the point here is that latex2e has been _the_ latex for so long it's
> now called just "latex".  from what i can see, there isn't a latex209
> on the system, but it could be built in extremis.
>
> of course, it could be difficult on a system created as long ago as
> 1999, but i would doubt it.
>
> to be sure, he should run his "latex" system and report what it tells
> him.
>
> [note i'm not doing well at the moment with working on answers.  can
> someone else send this off, amended as necessary, please.]

I think we should show him the opening lines in a .log file (I'll bet
he just lets that one fly by and never looks at it) and indicate where
the info is.

For example:

   This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Y&Y TeX 2.2.2) (format=latex 2000.2.24)
   2003 MAR 11 22:29
   **+latex E:/work/yandy-techsupport/antoniou/antoniou-testmath.tex
   (C:/yandy/YANDYTEX/FMT/latex.fmt)
   (E:/work/yandy-techsupport/antoniou/antoniou-testmath.tex
   (14 fonts frozen in format file:
   cmex10, line10, linew10, lcircle10, lcirclew10, cmr5, cmr7,
   cmr10, cmmi5, cmmi7, cmmi10, cmsy5, cmsy7, cmsy10)
   LaTeX2e <1999/12/01>

The last line up there tells you exactly what you've been accessing
all this time ;-)

If you are still unsure, then send us the opening lines of your own
most recent .log file and we'll `translate' it for you.

===

Would that do?