Comments/discoveries re: Antoniou problem with display

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Mar 11 22:34:44 CET 2003

I've finally had some time to go through Antoniou's various files (his
test file is in fact the AMS's testmath.tex file). He sent .pdf
versions of his output (no errors when printing) and both a
screen-shot of the defective display and a scanned version of that
same page, with errors marked off -- I found many more but the problem
is all the same. The math material is not coming out right -- there
are substitutions or outright gaps.

Now, I can put the .pdf files somewhere, along with the .tex source
file, if anyone wants to test things themselves.

Here are my comments on what I've noticed -- no guarantees of course
that I've noticed essential or even important things  ;-)

===

1. The .pdf screen shot is invaluable -- for the first time we now
   know that he's also got MikTeX on the same damn'd box! At least,
   there's a button named `MikTeX' down there, to the immediate left
   of the `DVIWindo' button! Can't believe he neglected to mention
   this!

2. The .tex file runs just fine on my machine ;-)) Hurray! So my LaTeX
   reinstall seems to have worked ok. However, there is one disturbing
   line in the .log file:

   LaTeX Font Info:    No file LY1cmr.fd. on input line 143.

   I don't in fact find this .fd file on either on my machine or the
   CD. Is it necessary?

3. He has not gotten back to me about whether he's installed the CM
   series of .pfb files onto his machine.

4. He had said the following about his attempts to uninstall Y&YTeX:
   > This is the standard Windows 2000 method:
   > 1. Go to Control Panel.
   > 2.  Select Add/Remove Programs
   > 3.  Click Y&Y Tex System
   > 4.  Click button Change/Remove at the bottom right-hand corner of
   > the window.
   > (I get the usual blue screen, the computer looks as if it is doing
   > something but it seems to continue like that indefinitely.
   > 5. When you click  CTRL+ALT+DELETE you get Bill's famous quote
   > ... "Program
   > Not Responding."

   Now I've asked a fellow who knows Win2000 and he says that a blue
   screen like the above is usually indicative of a serious
   system-level problem (nothing to do with TeX) and that he'd most
   likely copy all data files to a safe place, and then reinstall from
   the OS up. Antoniou's response to this problem was to just go ahead
   and re-install Y&YTeX on top -- there was no apparent displeasure
   from the machine so he's just going on from there.

5. As he keeps attaching his dviwindo.ini file, and as our mailer here
   just as diligently keeps deleting it before distributing the mail,
   I still don't have it to see if there's anything obviously
   different from mine ;-)

===

His various diagnostic efforts have yielded the following comments: