one more thing ... if you can ...

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 3 10:28:49 CET 2003

First off, thank you for all the detailed comments back. We're looking
at all the comments -- and do understand your frustrations. I do have
a few quick comments I can already make at this point.

Andreas Antoniou writes:

> Christina:
>
> I did what you suggested and a few more things in addition as follows:
>
> 1. I tried three or four times to uninstall the Y&YTex system.  It did not
> work.  The uninstall program, if there is one, was not responding.

Can you tell us what `uninstall' procedure you followed?

> 3.  According to the instructions on the Web and in the miscellaneous
> documents available in the yandy folder for Windows 2000 machines, one does
> NOT use ATM to load the fonts for Windows 2000 computers.  As far as I

Correct. And it also says so in the smaller manual, p.5, section 2.2.

> understand the situation, one has to run "w2kfonts.exe", which is one of
> three installation files on the CD-ROM that I have purchased, after running
> setup.exe.  Unfortunately, the font installation program gave an error
> message as follows:

I will check on the above. The documentation on p.5 of the manual says
one can simply drag the font files into c:\winnt\fonts, via various
means. The final para. in this section (section 2.2) also mentions
using settupttf.exe.

> Error: The file C:\Documents and Settings\andreas.ORION/Local
> Settings\Temp\working.txt cannot be opened.  The System cannot find the
> file specified.
>
> I clicked OK and the installation program crashed.  Note that andreas is my
> user name and ORION is the name of the computer.  I tried this three or
> four more times, same problem.

Filenames/directories with spaces in them need special handling. On
p.66 of the Technical Manual, section 5.2.4, the last para. deals with
this issue.

> 5. I did a fresh installation of Y&YTex.  That worked as before, namely,
> everything OK except that DVIWindo had the same encoding problems with
> special characters and Greek symbols, i.e., characters that are found in
> computer modern fonts cmmi, cmtex, and cmsy.

I think you may want to read the bit at the bottom of pp.66-67, about
using the setupttf utility.

> 6. I tried to install the fonts as in (3) above.  Same problem, same error
> message.
>
> 7.  Please note the following:
> (a) Encoding was set to TeX'n ANSI.
> (b) My Latex document included
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

Good. These are indeed necessary lines.

Now, it's possible to find out exactly what Y&YTeX and the previewer
are generating on the screen by identifying the character's
`pedigree'. This is done by the following key sequences (detailed on
p.50 of the smaller manaul):

   1. ensure that `DVI File Fonts' is checked off
   2. put cursor on char. in question
   3. Ctrl-Shift-Click on the char

The pop-up box will give full details on that character

> 8. I checked for dviwindo.ini . There is no such file on my computer.

The file is normally in c:\winnt -- look down below the folder
listing, till you get to actual files in the winnt folder.

> 11.  Attached please find the following files for your forensic work:
>
> 1.  PostScript.pdf : This is the postscript version of the document as
> generated from the dvi file. (Actually, this a 41 page document but I am
> including just the first page.)
> 2. DviWindo.pdf: This is what DVIWindo shows on the screen.
> 3. Scanned.pdf: This is the scanned version of item (2) highlighting some
> of the encoding problems.
> 4. Log file

All files received. Thank you very much. What I did need, however, was
a sample working .tex file -- one that has the problem fonts that
won't display properly. I'm sorry to be such a pest ... but I do need
to see the actual source file.

> I hope that you will be able to help.  I am wasting far too much time on
> this and I am already seriously behind schedule.  I am in the process of
> writing a book and the reason why I need a Windows Latex System is because
> my publisher works with a Windows system rather than a UNIX one and I need
> to check the files on Windows before I send them out to the publisher.  I
> am very happy with my UNIX system and will continue using that as my
> primary software for as long as my UNIX computer holds.

I understand completely the frustration of having a perfect system on
UNIX for TeX ;-) and then moving to a totally different platform. They
just don't work the same. And that also means that some of our
assumptions about the one just won't transfer to the other.

I must confess, however, that I j haven't heard of such a situation
where an author and publisher are actually both working on the TeX
files ... Oh well. Not really my business!

We will be back in touch with more as soon as possible.