\bibstyle? Whose command is this?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Jun 25 16:18:54 CEST 2003

Well, I'm now a petitioner for assistance ;-)

I'm still having trouble getting BibTex to run from DVIWindo's TeX
menu. I can run it just fine if I work from the DOS command prompt,
but damn'd if it'll work the easy way, via my F4 key ;-(

When I'm at the DOS prompt and type:

    c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe <filename.aux>

the next lines that come back on the screen are:

   Current directory: `C:\cthiele\work'
   0: `c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe'
   1: `stanis-test.aux'

followed by:

   The 8-bit codepage ...

That is, BibTeX is reporting back to me. And all proceeds nicely from
there.

HOWEVER, when I use F4 via the TeX menu in DVIWindo, the log window
gives me a different story:

   Current directory: `C:\cthiele\work'
   0: `c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe'
   1: `-Z'                           <-- in or out, this doesn't
   2: `stanis-test.aux'                  change what happens next

followed by:

   This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Y&Y TeX 2.2.2)
   (C:/cthiele/work/stanis-test.aux
   ! Undefined control sequence.
   l.2 \bibstyle
                {apsrev}

So my first question is: what package is defining \bibstyle? I can't
find in the index to either the Companion or the Kopka/Daly book.

And second: this seems to be saying that TeX is now reading the file!
Well, how come?!

My .ini file has these lines in it:

a. For the TeX menu:

   BiBTeX|F4=C:\YANDY\BIBTEX\BIBTEX.EXE @.aux

b. For the [Applications] section:

BIBINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\bibinput;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib;c:\cthiele\\
BSTINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\bstinput;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib;c:\cthiele\\
CSFINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\csfinput;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib;c:\cthiele\\
BIBTEX_CSFILE=88591lat.csf

===

Oh, just to be clear -- this is MY problem. Others who've picked up
the .zip file with the newer BibTeX have had no such problems. So it
can't really be the distribution ... it's gotta be me ;-(

I just don't see it ... does anyone have any suggestions?