xypic fonts and Windows XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Jun 17 10:43:04 CEST 2003

Sue Rodd writes:

> > Can anyone tell me how to install xypic fonts in Windows XP.
> > I succeeded with most of
> > the fonts by right clicking on the Y & Y CD (release 2.2)
> > icon and selecting "Install Fonts in Windows 2000 Pro".  But
> > this procedure does not apply to the xypic fonts on the CD,
> > which must somehow be copied separately into the
> > Windows\Fonts directory. When I  try to do this I get the
> > following error message: The copyright holder does not allow
> > to convert this into True Type. Please contact the font creator.
> >
> In Windows 2000 Pro, I  installed the PFM/PFB files in c:/winnt. Then  I had
> a look at where "write AFM" was writing from DVIWINDO.  Then I went to
> tex\latex\contrib\supported\xypic, where I had earlier seen a whole lot of
> font files for xypic, and copied all the xypic AFM files (from the
> 3.7folder) across to yandy\fonts\afm, replacing the ones that I'd written
> from DVIWINDO, and the tfm files to c:\yandy\fonts\tfm\texnansi\tfm.
>
> Tha seems to work OK for me.
>
> All the best
>
> Sue

I hope Irene's on this list now!

Irene, if Sue's instructions work and you get what you want ... could
I ask you two to write up some cook-book like instructions that we can
then add to the website?  You know -- step 1, step 2 ... ;-)

If the procedures are different -- for whatever reason -- then it
would be good to have them specially written up for immediate use by
all those who want to add them to their font repertoire.

Of course, we would like all fonts to install the same way! But if
it's going to take time to make this happen, for now, we should take
the time to give potential users the right instructions -- right away
;-)