marvosym encoding...

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 22:27:33 CEST 2003

> 1) Someone from Y&Y tecnhical support sent me a new .pfb file, but
> it did not work. In fact I hade already tried different reencodings
> of the font.
>
> 2) I am using Windows 2000 with Y&Y tex version 2.1
>
> 3) I installed the fonts using windows 2000 proceduts: Start ->
> Control panel -> Fonts -> File menu -> Install New Font .....
> Certainly I do not use ATM on windows 2000.

good.

> 4) I have not used Knuth's testfont.tex. When I preview the font on
> Dviwindo it comes ok with all characters appearing on screen.
>
> 5) In fact I downloaded the marvosym.sty. It expects a OT1 encoding
> of the font... When I include it the font does not work even for
> screen previewing. It is not clear to me whether marvosym.sty is for
> the TrueType version of the font or not (or is it indifferent?)

i know of no truetype version of marvosym; perhaps there's one
available for truetex.  it's available from y&y because berthold horn
did some pro bono work to improve the type 1 version someone else had
created; richard kinch (the owner of truetex inc) sometimes does the
same sort of thing with truetype versions.

the use of OT1 in marvosym.sty is nothing but silly.  the only
rational way to describe its encoding is as U -- OT1 is a text font
encoding (approximating those used in the cmr fonts), yet there are no
letters at all in marvosym.

however, i don't think it's your problem: i think you'll find the the
glyph numbers in marvosym.sty correspond to the glyph positions in the
raw font: OT1 has nothing to do with it.

> 6) In fact I use marvosym.sty (with the OT1 commands commented), and
> the common names for symbols there in my tesfile... everything works
> fine on the screen. The only problem happens with dvips...

do you really mean that?  dvips requires an entirely different setup:
if all you've done is install it through the control panel, dvips
won't see the font.  dvipsone ought to, though (and dvipsone produces
better postscript, too).

if you _have_ been using dvips, please try dvipsone.  whatever, let us
know.

(and i'll try and persuade the author of marvosym.sty to change that
stupid encoding specification.)

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team