Missing fonts?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Jun 9 21:28:59 CEST 2003

Steve McKinnon writes:

> Progress!:
>
> I think the font issue could be a red herring. As far as I can tell,
> all the fonts are accessible and have been installed from the CD
> ROM. I've spent some time with the mathtime installation and can now
> compile the hello_MT.tex successfully. However, the log file reports

Hurray!

> quite a few warnings so I might not yet be completely in the
> clear. This is a summary of what I did:
>
> Could not find the mathtime.sty or times.sty, so went to the CD
> ROM:\MATHPLUS\PSNFSS directory, copied everything to my
> C:\YANDY\TEX\LATEX directory and ran Latex on mathtime.ins. This
> created additional files, but not a times.sty, which appeared to be
> the only missing file according to latax's complaints. This, I found

This is good to hear. I mean, clearly, it's not good if you had to do
all this in order to get Y&Y to run with MathTime! But it's really
good diagnostic stuff for us to check. Thanks for persevering.

> in the yyadd.zip file in the demo directory of the CD-ROM (search
> reported it was in the PSNFSS directory, but this did not exist on
> the ROM and crashed explorer when I tried to copy the found file -
> strange). Anyway, with these files in place the file compiles and
> can be viewed by dviwindo. The remaining odd part is the numerous
> warning messages in the log file, as sample of which is:

I see these all the time ... I've been told they're really just
`informational' ;-) .

But since you asked -- and I don't know! -- I've been digging through
some of my references. I've found a collection of error and warning
messages nicely laid out in the Kopka and Daly _Guide to LaTeX2e_ (I
only have the 2nd ed.; the 3rd is out and should be preferred) in
chap.9.

In there, I find these comments for these messages:

> LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `OT1' has changed to `LY1' for symbol
> font
> (Font)              `operators' in the math version `normal' on
> input line 73.

For the above, on p.290, it says:

   ``To make use of the specified symbol font in the given math
     version, it was necessary to change the font encoding
     temporarily.''

Well, now. That does sound `informational', and not terribly
disruptive ... What's the next one?

> LaTeX Font Info:    Overwriting symbol font `operators' in version
> `normal'
> (Font)                  OT1/cmr/m/n --> LY1/ptm/m/n on input line
> 73.

Bugger! This isn't listed! Darn -- and I thought we were doing so well
... ;-))

Robin probably can give us the right interpretation of the above.

Your collection/selection of messages are only of these two types.

> Apart from this, all seems to work. I'll try testing additional
> files. Any comments or is this normal?

I guess we're about to find out ;-)

> Thanks again,

Any time. Now go and buy a copy of Kopka/Daly ;-))