Font problems

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 09:29:15 CEST 2003

Eileen Dallwitz writes:

> My font MTMI (MathTime Math Italic, purchased from Y&Y TeX), is properly
> installed and appears in the Adobe Illustrator font list. I can insert
> characters from this font into Illustrator without trouble; they display and
> print properly.  However, when I re-open the file, characters whose codes
> are above 127 give this error message: 'MTMI: Reorganised character
> encoding. The document ... uses fonts or characters which are not available
> or are in a different format than originally specified.' Characters above
> 127 are all replaced by other characters, mostly in the range 0-31. I have
> to use this font for diagrams to maintain consistency with the rest of the
> TeX document.
>
> Can you shed any light on this problem?

not sure: (caution: i've never used illustrator, some of the following
           may be complete rubbish)

when you say you're "re-opening", do you mean "in illustrator"?  how
do you know about the remapping ("characters above 127...)?

if the answers are what i guess, it sounds as if illustrator has
(1) embedded the font, then (2) remapped the font before using it.
coming back to the picture file, illustrator has found the embedded
font and forgotten that it needs remapping, so that the character code
positions in the file no longer make sense.

this brings two possibilities to mind:

1. you may be able to tell illustrator not to embed the font.

2. you may be better employed using psfrag to maintain your
consistency.  psfrag takes a character string that appears in your
picture, and replaces it with an alternative.  so you might say

  \psfrag{pir2}{$\pi r^2$}

problems may arise with psfrag if illustrator manages to hide the
strings "well enough" in its output postscript.

i would go for the second option; there are always problems when
people use tex fonts with non-tex applications, and although this one
is new to me, it doesn't surprise me.

let us know how you get on...

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team