Win2000/XP woes of the world -- or not? [was `Re: dvipsone support...]

Sue Rodd jcm at lms.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 18:21:57 CEST 2003

> Is it at all possible that, just as the solution for
> accessing BibTeX lay in finding the .ini file for WINEDT and
> making an edit in there, that DVIPSONE is also invoked in
> that same file? I'm just wondering... I don't have winedt set
> up on here, so can't check. But it _sounds_ a reasonable
> place to poke, no?

I have a line in my dviwindo.ini file that reads:

TEXEDIT=C:\yandy\winedt\winedt.exe [Open('%s');SelLine(%d,8)]

As I understand it, that is what makes winedt come up as the tex editor in
dviwindo>tex>winedt
 (also called by pressing F11).

I used to use pfe editor, but now I'm sold on winedt -- the spell checker
alone is worth gold!  If I remember right, there are instructions somewhere
in the manual for linking to whatever editor you choose -- this is what I
got as default by buying winedt at the same time as the upgrade to 2.2.  I
did initially link it to pfe (on the basis that one new thing at a time is
enough...) but when I reinstalled I just went with the flow, and now I'm
glad I did. I'm no techie, so if I can do it, I reckon it's pretty
idiot-proof.

Upgrading to Windows 2K (from 95) has been a major hassle -- largely because
the hyperref package wasn't the newest, it seems, and the instructions for
adding fonts after installation are not crystal clear (hint! hint!). But I
hope I'm seeing daylight at last, and perhaps those who come later will have
less hassle... Some of the problems come from the general assumption that
anyone using LaTeX finds the guts of their machine interesting -- myself, I
just want to press the buttons and see it run -- like my car or my
sewing-machine!

Good luck!

Sue