problems with fonts

Peter Scott pscott at umich.edu
Mon Dec 8 12:21:18 CET 2003

Dear Carlos,
  I have had this problem also using Windows XP. It is caused by the fact
that Scientific Workplace uses Truetype fonts and Y&Y uses Adobe Type 1
fonts, so you end up with two sets of fonts with the same names, which
Windows cannot cope with.
  My solution is as follows. First I got Adobe Type Manager version 4.1.
**Note version 4.0 won't work with XP.**
  Then the idea is to use ATM to inactivate one set of the two competing
fonts. The difficulty is that each set has a lot of fonts and you need to
get them into a set for ATM to use.
  So I uninstalled both SW and Y&Y *and all their fonts*. Then I put all
the remaining fonts into a single set, just so that newly installed fonts
will be immediately recognizable.
  Then install SW and Y&Y one at a time. When installing Y&Y, I used ATM
to install its fonts. This worked fine for me despite the problems others
seem to have had. After each installation, take all the fonts which do not
yet lie in a set and put them in some new set. (With Y&Y, you can directly
put the fonts into a new set when you install them.) You also will need to
move the SW fonts from the Windows fonts folder to the default ATM folder,
because ATM cannot deactivate fonts in the Windows fonts folder. This is
described in the ATM help. Now you can easily deactivate one set and use
the other, and just as easily reverse the activations of the two sets. But
personally, I keep the SW fonts deactivated all the time, because dviwindo
is a far better dvi viewer than the SW viewer.
 Hope this helps.
  Peter Scott

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Carlos Hernández Garciadiego wrote:

> I have windows XP and I Installed Y&Y according to the card that came with
> the CD. It seems that the fonts are not installed correctly, because if I
> try to preview something like
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
>

> $$
> f_{\mathcal{R}}
> $$
>
> \end{document}
>
> When I preview it I obtain messages:
> Encoding mismatch.
> Font: cmsy7, Face Name: cmsy7
> 'm_yc_v..' versus 'ansinew' at byte 169
>
> and
>
> Encoding mismatch.
> Font: cmr10, Face Name: cmr10
> 'mr1_57..' versus 'ansinew' at byte 205
>
> Because I have also Scientific Workplace.
>
> If I  uninstall the fonts from Scientific Workplace then DVIWindo sends
> messages saying the fonts don't exist.
>
> If I try to use DVIPSONE
>
> I obtain the following, and the R which is suppose to be caligraphic doesn't
> print correctly.
>

> Passing PS back to Windows from DVIPSONE.DLL
> DVIPSONE 2.2.8  2002 Apr 30 09:44:06 SN 4972
> Copyright (C) 1990--2002, Y&Y, Inc.  http://www.YandY.com
>
> Command:
> DVIPSONE -v -d="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Escritorio\*.pdf"
> C:\Temp\Untitled2.dvi
> Processing DVI file C:\Temp\Untitled2.dvi (to DVIWindo)
> TeX output 2003.12.03:1626
> Warning: no ATMREG.ATM  WARNING: Can't find font cmmi10 (and no substitute)
>  WARNING: Can't find font cmsy7 (and no substitute)
>  WARNING: Can't find font cmr10 (and no substitute)
>
> No font files [1]
> Max stack depth 4 - 3 font slots used - DVI file contains 1 page
> Time: 4.063 sec (2.86 sec per page output)
> 3 errors encountered
> DONE
>

> Please tell me what else I have to do to install the fonts.
>
> Dr. Carlos Hernández Garciadiego
> Instituto de Matemáticas, UNAM
> Tel 56 22 44 87

Peter Scott                                        Office: East Hall 3842
Mathematics Department, East Hall              Office Phone: 734-764-0377
University of Michigan                       Department Fax: 734-763-0937
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1109             Department Phone: 734-764-0335