FWD: [Fwd: Carmona: pdflatex and fonts]

admin   admin at yandy.com
Tue Aug 12 17:15:02 CEST 2003

Dear Techsupport,

I want to make sure Dr. Carmona gets the right information before
he purchases the fonts.  Any comments would be greatly
appreciated. Dr. Carmona is not a subscriber to FORUM.  You can
either write to him directly, or forward the email to
admin at yandy.com.  Many thanks.

Blenda
admin at yandy.com

From: Rene Carmona <rcarmona at Princeton.EDU>
Date:  Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:00:55 -0400

Blenda,

This is a follow up on our phone conversation.

I am preparing the final version of a "camera-ready" manuscript
to be published as a textbook by Springer Verlag. For whatever
reason,
I am stuck with using pdflatex under Windows (I am using WinEdt as
editor and MikTeX as a TeX processor.) The manuscript grew out of
lecture notes I prepared for my students, and I used pdflatex for
convenience. I have hundreds of figures in the book, and they are
all
in png format, not in postscript and this is one of the reasons I
will
presumably stick to pdflatex. It seems too difficult to revert
back to
the old-fashioned way of producing a dvi and a postscript file.

I produced sample chapter (pdf) files which I sent to the publisher
for them to test that they can indeed work with what I am about to
send
them, and I get complains about the fonts that I am using. I
append
below the latest of these complains, in fact the most explicit of
them.

So, hoping that this will resolve the problem, they suggest that I
purchase the "Mathtime Complete" fonts from you after I make sure
that
this will indeed solve the problem. Could you find out if this
will
indeed do the trick. If you can confirm that, and explain how I
can use
these fonts, I will purchase them right away.

Thank you for your attention.
Rene Carmona
Paul M. Wythes '55 Professor of Engineering and Finance
Princeton University

--------------
Dear Rene,

I've created a PostScript file from your original PDF file
(SVbookForJohn.pdf) and looked at the code. What's happening is
that
there are 4 fonts embedded and subsetted (this is what the
document
properties reveal in Acrobat Exchange) yet the font information is
missing in the file (which means, no subsets of fonts are
embedded):

1. PFMFBD+NimbusRomNo9L-Regu-Slant_167 not found, using Courier.
2. MWJCTE+NimbusRomNo9L-Medi-Slant_167 not found, using Courier.
3. IBARXE+CMR10 not found, using Courier.
4. VJIDMM+CMBX10 not found, using Courier.

1.=> a subset of "NimbusRomNo9L-Regu-Slant_167" replaced with
Courier
2.=> a subset of "NimbusRomNo9L-Medi-Slant_167" replaced with
Courier
3.=> a subset of "CRM10" replaced with Courier
4.=> a subset of "CMBX10" replaced with Courier

Earlier, I was only able to give you a rather vague error message,
not
meaningful for any troubleshooting. Now I used the "save as"
PostScript
from within Exchange and distilled the resulting PS file and got
meaningful PostScript errors (1--4 above).

So, the verdict is, once you get the Mathtime fonts (which are the
ones
we've been discussing in an earlier correspondence) to work with
pdflatex you wouldn't be using CMR10 (3.) and CMBX10 (4.) anymore.
The
Nimbus fonts (1. and 2.) weren't used in your PDF of this morning.
That
will fix it then.

The fonts you need to get are either the "Mathtime 1.1 font set"
or
"Mathtime Complete." You can get them from Y&Y Inc:

http://www.yandy.com/

I urge you to contact Y&Y, Inc.'s customer service via phone and
make
sure there is a way to get them to work with pdflatex before you
go
through with the purchase.

Best regards,
Frank