version 2.2 and Windows XP Pro

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 10 22:23:27 CEST 2003

> Quoting Tom Kacvinsky <tkacvins at cox.net>:
>
> > Please take a look at:
> >
> >   http://www.YandY.com/version22.htm
> >
> > There are "simple" install instructions for WnXP and W2K.  The
> > instructions for each of those systems are basically the same.
>
> Thanks for your kind interest in helping me.
>
> My problem is that I upgraded to release 2.2 before WinXP was released (I've
> been using it on a Win98SE) and my CD and its documentation only mentions
> Win2K.

if you got a disc today, it would be the same.  the most you can
expect is a note saying "follow the instructions for windows 2000".
it works: i've done it on both.

> What I want is an updated file with installation instructions for WinXP from
> Y&Y technical support.

the difference is that "windows 2000" in the title becomes "windows xp".

> I just hope that they are reading the messages in this forum.

if you don't accept the honest word of someone as eminent in the tex
world as tom k, why should you accept its corroboration from me, given
that i'm not on y&y's payroll either?

this forum was started to make life easier for the voluntary unpaid
y&y support team.  our intent was to step in when a question was being
asked and not correctly answered (or not answered at all): i find it
slightly bemusing to find myself stepping when a question has been
answered correctly.

the real problem with going to windows xp is exactly the same as that
with going to windows 2000: viz., the difference in the way fonts are
handled.  have you actually tried installing the system, and had
problems, or are you holding off because of this non-existent file?

if the latter, i can suggest that someone does send you a revised file
(even though i don't believe it's necessary).  if you've been having
troubles, i and my co-volunteers will try to help; in fact, we've got
pretty good at helping people who've moved to windows 2000 or windows
xp.

Robin Fairbairns

Y&Y support team