[XeTeX] XeTeX OpenType Features bug?

David Barts n5jrn at me.com
Tue Oct 24 03:40:44 CEST 2023

Posted this on the /r/tex subreddit and it was recommended I post it here:

When I run XeLaTeX from TeX Live 2023 on my Mac, it does not allow me to
access the small caps (smcp feature) in the Baskerville or Hoefler Text
fonts. I know these fonts contain small caps, because I can access the
smcp feature in them when using Libre Office. I know Libre Office isn’t
simply faking it and using a smaller point size to get small caps
because a) that’s not how the text appears (the small caps sure look
like proper small caps to me), b) it doesn’t do this for all fonts.

It’s not all Open Type fonts that XeTeX has problems with, either. It
can use the small caps in Shinntype’s Scotch Modern just fine.

I’ve done some web searches about this and so far came up dry. Was
wondering if anyone else had noticed it or has a workaround.

David Barts /n5jrn at me.com
He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for.
  -- Moroccan proverb