[XeTeX] extra line with RTL languages in parcolumns

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Sat Aug 19 16:56:56 CEST 2023

 I used \begin{otherlanguage}{arabic} and \end{otherlanguage} as in babel, but there is still the problem of the indent. --Gildas

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\usepackage{parcolumns}

\setmainlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguages{arabic, syriac}

\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic, Scale=1.6]{Scheherazade}

\newfontfamily\syriacfont[Script=Syriac, Scale=1.6]{SyrCOMJerusalem}

\begin{document}

\begin{parcolumns}[nofirstindent, sloppy]{2}

\colchunk{
%\begin{RTL}
\begin{otherlanguage}{arabic} % changed Arabic to arabic
في حقيبتي رسالة هي عندي انفس ما وهبنيه الناس حتی اليوم. تسلمتها في اوائل ايار ١٩٢٢ فتلوتها ولم اقع فيها علی اقل اثر استدل منه علی مرسلها ومحل اقامته.
\end{otherlanguage}
%\end{RTL}
}

\colchunk{There's a letter in my bag that's the most precious thing to me that anyone has ever given me. I got it at the beginning of May 1922, and I read it, but I didn't come across the slightest indication of the sender or their address.}

\end{parcolumns}

\begin{parcolumns}[nofirstindent, sloppyspaces]{2}

\colchunk{
%\begin{RTL}
\begin{otherlanguage}{syriac}
ܠܟܠܒܐ ܕܝܢ ܟܕ ܐܦ ܗ̣ܘ ܡܢ ܚܝ̈ܘܬܐ ܗܠܝܢ ܐܟ̈ܠܬ ܒܣܪܐ ܐܝܬܘܗܝ ܟܠܗ ܗܢܐ ܫܥܒܕܗ ܐܠܗܐ ܥܒܘܕܗ ܠܒܪܢܫܐ܉ ܐܝܟܢܐ ܕܐܦ ܝܬܝܪ ܡܢ ܒܢܝܢ̈ܫܐ ܠܘܬ ܒܢܝܢ̈ܫܐ܇ ܢܗܘܐ ܐܝܬ ܠܗ ܚܘܒܐ ܘܐܘܝܘ̣ܬܐ ܡܫ̣ܝܢܬܐ ܠܘܬ ܒܪܢܫܐ ܩܢ̇ܝܗ.
\end{otherlanguage}
%\end{RTL}
}

\colchunk{Even though dogs belong to the group of meat-eating animals, God, their maker, has subjected them completely to people, so that they have even more affection and tranquil harmony toward their owners than people have toward each other.}
\end{parcolumns}

\end{document}