[XeTeX] XeTeX wish list ...

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:28:24 CEST 2023

po 14. 8. 2023 v 17:39 odesílatel Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at gmail.com> napsal:

> On 14/08/2023 16:01, Philip Taylor (RHUoL) wrote:
> > I do not know whether there is such a thing, but if there is, may I add
> > an entry ?
> >
> > Background:  I have (XeTeX) code which adds bleed and crop marks
> > (strictly speaking, bleed and trim marks) to an existing multipage PDF.
> > The code is stored in a file called "Add bleed + cropmarks.tex".  When
> > run, it asks the user for the name of the PDF file to be used as input,
> > but of course the resulting PDF output file is always called "Add bleed
> > + cropmarks.pdf".
> >
> > Request :  Would it be possible to enhance XeTeX such one could write
> > (e.g.,)
> >
> >     \XeTeXpdffile = "Hội-An lunch menu with bleed and crop marks"
> >
> > before any data has been entered on the MVL, and then have the output
> > file name be taken from \XeTeXpdffile ?  If \XeTeXpdffilename were set
> > only /after/ data had entered the MVL, it would be completely acceptable
> > for the output file name to be taken from \jobname as at present.
> >
> > It would (IMHO) be more elegant to make \jobname read/write, but that
> > would introduce an unnecessary deviation from TeX.
>

> In principle, I'm sure it could be done, but another option you could
> consider would be to run your xetex job via a "wrapper" script (or batch
> file to you, Philip) that handles this. E.g. instead of having the XeTeX
> code itself prompt for a filename, you could prompt for it from the
> wrapper script, and then pass it to xetex via the -jobname option.

You can ask xdvipdfmx to add title, author, subject, keywords,
creator, and producer. It is done by hyperref and also by my
zwpagelayout which is shorter.
Both packages do it for pdflatex, luatex, and xelatex. You can remove
the LaTeX things and just copy the code which sends the PDF
primitives. It the title is not defined, all engines take it from
\jobname.

> JK

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/