[XeTeX] Confused (why are ignored characters not "removed from the input" as per Eijkhout's TeX by Topic ?)

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sun Apr 16 21:16:35 CEST 2023

On 16/04/2023 19:30, Zdeněk Wagner wrote:

> The mouth reads the input and assigns categories, thus
> it sees ^^I as  the character with code 0x09, assigns category 9 to it
> (ignored character) and sends this token to the stomach.

Wel, that's not what Knuth says at Exercise 7.3, Zdeněk  —

> [Q] Some of the category codes 0 to 15 [...] disappear in TeX's
> mouth.  [...] Which categories can actually reach TeX's stomach ?
>
> [A] 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13

so I think that on this occasion, perhaps, your memory may not be quite
as infallible as it normally is ...

--
/** Phil./