[XeTeX] Disable "mktextfm" and/or use of TFM-based fonts ?

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed Jun 8 11:02:42 CEST 2022

On 08/06/2022 09:55, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Sorry but I think it is one of the nice features of a modern tex
> system that it creates tfm or pk fonts on the fly.
That's fine; we can agree to differ on such philosophical points.
> xetex is doing that internally too for your open type fonts: it is
> still tex and needs tfm files.
Does it ?  Are you absolutely certain ?
> Do you want to miss that feature and
> have to prepare the tfm files your self before using a font?
It it does, then no, I am happy for it to do that, but I was unaware
that it does.
> XeTeX doesn't fallback. It uses the fonts that your format and your
> code tells it to use. If you prefer to use unicode math fonts, here
> is a receipt what you have to change in plain for this:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/308749/2388

By "fall back", I meant "use Computer Modern for maths if Ihave failed
to declate my own maths fonts".  But thank you for the recipe — much
appreciated.

Incidentally, I now see that I can use the following successfully, which
makes it far easier to integrate the desired functionality into TeXwords —

--
/** Phil./