[XeTeX] Disable "mktextfm" and/or use of TFM-based fonts ?

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed Jun 8 10:43:19 CEST 2022

On 08/06/2022 08:51, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 7 Jun 2022 11:44:28 +0100 schrieb Philip Taylor (Hellenic
> Institute):
>
>> As I /never/ want XeTeX to attempt to create a seemingly-missing TFM
>> file, can I configure XeTeX and/or TeXworks to inhibit this undesired
>> behaviour ?
> Perhaps by setting MKTEXTFM = 0, but I never tried if xetex honors
> that. But even if that work: you would still get errors from your
> code, so why bother?
Thank you, I will try that.  Error messages I would expeect — an attempt
to create a font (or even a font metric file), I would not — typesetting
should utilise existing resources, not attempt to create new ones.  Or
to put it another way, TeX is a typesetting engine, and should not
pretend to be a poor man's "make".

>> And for that matter, can I configure XeTeX and/or TeXworks
>> to inhibit any attempt to use TFM-based fonts ?
> Do you really want that? Don't you use tfm based math fonts?

Not intentionally, since I rarely if ever typeset maths.  But if I /were
/to need to insert a fragment of maths into a document that I would
typesetting, I would like to be warned if XeTeX needed to fall back on
the Computer Modern (or similar) fonts.

--
/** Phil./