[XeTeX] Off topic (interesting) question

Yannis Haralambous yannis1962 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:34:37 CEST 2022

English (and French and German and many other languages) respect words of Greek origin and
represent the rough breathing in some way (`H' in Latin alphabet, `Г' in Cyrillic alphabet, `ه' in Arabic,
'ハ' in Japanese, etc.).

Greeks themselves have chosen to destroy this cultural heritage by adopting the monotonic system…
(because of the Saussurian doctrine that only oral language deserves to be considered, and the
rough breathing has not phonetic realization anymore so, according to Saussure and his Greek
followers it should better disappear…) See https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02480230/document <https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02480230/document>

Yannis

> Le 20 août 2022 à 11:21, Apostolos Syropoulos via XeTeX <xetex at tug.org> a écrit :
>

> Hi everybody,
>
> Many readers of this mailing list are
> native English language speakers and
> the following question is for them.
>
> Someone claimed that English people (I say
> more generally English language speakers)
>  learn at school why you write history and
> not istory. Since I do not know I'd this holds, I
> am asking: Is this true? Does someone who
> has graduated from high-school know the
> reason why this happens?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Apostolos Syropoulos
>

> Στάλθηκε από το Ταχυδρομείο Yahoo σε Android <https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>
 <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr/>	Yannis HARALAMBOUS
Professor
Computer Science Department
UMR CNRS 6285 Lab-STICC
 <https://www.imt-atlantique.fr/en/person/yannis-haralambous> <https://twitter.com/y_haralambous> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannis-haralambous-5529073?trk=hp-identity-name>Technopôle Brest-Iroise CS 83818
29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
Une École de l'IMT <http://www.imt.fr/>

‌Le tact dans l'audace, c'est de savoir jusqu'où on peut aller trop loin.
‌(Jean Cocteau, ‌Le Coq et l'Arlequin)‌