[XeTeX] Adobe PDF, Adobe Acrobat/Reader, Microsoft Word, XeTeX, and (x)dvipdfm(x).

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Fri May 28 12:41:32 CEST 2021

George N. White III wrote:

> Unlike UNIX-based OS's, Windows has problems writing to files that are
> open in another
> program, so Windows editors and AcroRead support "DynamicDataExchange"
> which allows
> a program that wants to write a PDF to ask AcroRead to close, and then
> open the file after
> it has been written.   WinEDT can be configured to close the Adobe PDF
> viewer so that TeX
> software can write a new PDF.  On Windows, TeX Live provides pdfopen
> and pdfclose
> programs (I think originally from fptex) that are useful in scripts
> (to bracket programs that
> create a pdf file):
>
> > type sample2e.cmd
> pdfclose sample2e.pdf
> lualatex sample2e
> pdfopen sample2e.pdf

Thank you for that information, George.  Is "AcroRead" "Acrobat Reader"
or another program ?  I ask because I have just tried "pdfclose" here,
with a PDF open in Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) and it fails as
follows :

--
/Philip Taylor/