[XeTeX] Follow-up to previous mail about hyphenation

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Thu Mar 25 12:10:59 CET 2021

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> The output you're getting shows that the hyphenation is in fact
> happening as expected. (To get a hyphen rather than a box, you need to
> set the font's \hyphenchar appropriately.)

So what am I missing in my code, Jonathan ?  I have added a \hyphenchar,
removed the pointless (and dysfunctional) \showhyphens), but still get
no hyphenation —

% !TeX Program=Ini-XeTeX

\catcode `\ = 10
\catcode `\         = 10