[XeTeX] Coloured fonts

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 21:34:25 CET 2021

Hi David, Philip.

On 19 Mar 2021, at 7:17 am, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com<mailto:d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>> wrote:

Not sure if xetex can do colour fonts currently,

According to here:

     https://www.colorfonts.wtf

there’s not many applications that do support this new technology.

The colour doesn’t show in Phil’s example PDF, neither in Adobe’s  Illustrator, nor Acrobat Pro,
despite Adobe being one of the instigators of this font format.
So presumably the font isn’t installed correctly into the PDF.

Presumably the  /Style  dictionary here:

9 0 obj
<<
/Descent -173
/StemV 87
/Ascent 631
/FontName /THVNSG+BabelStoneXiangqiColour
/ItalicAngle 0
/Style
<<
/Panose <080002020604010101010101>

/AvgWidth 734
/FontBBox [-14 -232 1014 795]
/Type /FontDescriptor
/CIDSet 16 0 R
/CapHeight 631
/Flags 4
/FontFile2 17 0 R

endobj

is where the colour is specified, by that /Panose  entry.
But there must be something else that is missing.

Unfortunately the link to get the font doesn’t work for me.

[cid:4B73A63B-0EAF-4379-91AC-6674DBBF5B27 at modem]

So David, could you possibly send the PDF of the example you posted below, please?

You can always experiment with luatex which gets this if using harfbuzz

<image.png>

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\newfontfamily\chess[Renderer=HarfBuzz]{BabelStoneXiangqiColour.ttf}
\begin{document}

testing {\chess ^^^^^^01fa64}

\end{document}