[XeTeX] Guaranteed Unicode replacement glyph in every TeX installation?

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Sat Aug 21 03:45:37 CEST 2021

Using XeTeX, I want to typeset a LaTeX document into a PDF file. The LaTeX source code in UTF-8 expressly includes the Unicode Replacement character (� = U+FFFD) (a black diamond with a question mark in it).

I want to typeset it in this single document using a monospaced font in one place, and in another place in a variable-width font.

I understand that XeTeX can take advantage of one's system's installed fonts, but my LaTeX file is being generated by another program that doesn't know what those fonts are or what glyphs they support. I simply want to guarantee that the fonts used are always available when processing that LaTeX file.

I also understand that it's possible to synthesize the glyph graphically without using a font, but I'd rather not go that route.

So ... What fixed-width and variable-width OpenType (or other) fonts, if any, are always distributed with TeX or TeXLive or whatever that one can rely upon to be available for placing this particular glyph in a final PDF file? What would be the correct incantation to doing so?

Thanks.

Doug McKenna
Mathemaesthetics, Inc.