[XeTeX] Colour specials for XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Jun 6 13:41:20 CEST 2020

In his 2005 /XeTeX notes/ <http://mirror.las.iastate.edu/tex-archive/systems/doc/xetex/XeTeX-notes.pdf>, Jonathan Kew writes :

> 4.1 \special commands
>
> 4.1.1 Color
>
> The xdv2pdf driver supports several \specials to allow color to be used in
> XeTeX documents. These are:
>
> \special {x:textcolor=color}
> \special {x:textcolorpush}
> \special {x:textcolorpop}
> \special {x:rulecolor=color}
> \special {x:rulecolorpush}
> \special {x:rulecolorpop}
>
> where color is an RGB color value expressed as 6 hexadecimal digits.

However, using this with today's DVIPDFMX driver, I obtain only a black rule.  I can obtained the desired effect using :

> \special {color push}%
>
> \special {color cmyk 0.17 0.18 0.79 0.0}%
>
> \vrule
>
> \special {color pop}%

but would be interested to know if (and why) Jonathan's x:textcolor / x:rulecolor specials are no longer supported.

/Philip Taylor/