[XeTeX] Problem with ifpdf switch

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 20:00:01 CEST 2020

I get no spurious output from this document with xetex

\input ifpdf.sty
\input eplain

xxx

\bye

However you do not have the current version of ifpdf.sty your text is
showing a 2016 date which presumably means you have an old copy somewhere
on a local input path that is masking the one you would have installed with
a current installation.

The current  version of ifpdf.sty as distributed with texlive2020 has the
line

  \ProvidesPackage{ifpdf}[2019/10/25 v3.4 ifpdf legacy package. Use iftex
instead.]

So will not have made the text that you show.

Some other macro that you have loaded has apparently defined
\ProvidesPackage so that instead of sending the final argument to the log
it typesets it, but impossible to say what that is from the information
posted.

David