MikTeX fails to find a font installed in Windows 10 (for XeLaTeX)

P P Narayanaswami swami at mun.ca
Mon Mar 25 16:58:31 CET 2019

I have problem using some open type fonts in Windows 10 with XeLaTeX in
MikTeX.
I downloaded a Malayalam language font, "Gayathri" and tried to use it
in XeLaTeX.
This font is clearly listed in the Font catalogue accessible from
Control Panel.
The Font catalogue lists its name as "Gayathri Regular".
But when I use them in XeLaTeX with the command
      \newfontfamily{\mal}[Script=Malayalam]{Gayathri Regular}
MikTeX complains it cannot find the font and starts building 'tfm's,
with the following Error message.

      Package fontspec Error: "Gayathri Regular" cannot be found.

I had the same problem with many other fonts in many other languages
too.
I guess it must be a  problem related to the way MikTeX identifying the
fonts in the operating system.

Another Malayalam language font "Kartika" that comes with Windows 10
(when I installed the
Malayalam language add-on in Windows 10) works fine in XelaTeX.  Hence I
am puzzled.
Any help will be appreciated.