XeLaTeX to Word/OpenOffice - the state of the art?

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 13:48:08 CET 2019

Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was asked to convert to Word a rather long paper submitted as the
> XeLateX PDF output (if accepted, the Word document will be converted to
> PDF by the editors...; I understand they work on the assumption that the
> reviewers don't know how to comment a PDF file).
>
> [...]
>
> Before embarking on such a job again I would like to make sure there are
> no new tools that I'm not aware of.

Well, on a simple test document (admittedly not created using XeTeX),
Adobe Acrobat DC's innate ability to export as Microsoft Word seems to
produce reasonably acceptable results, Janusz — see attached.  If you
can send me a (Dropbox or similar) link to your XeTeX-generated PDF, I
can have a go at converting it for you ...

Philip Taylor