[XeTeX] Velthuis to Roman translit

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:46:09 CEST 2018

Hi all,

there is a subtle problem. The original design of Velthuis (at least as I
found it somewhere) was case insensitive. It was thus possible to use
normal English capitalization as Indra, Brahma etc. Thus both i and I was
short (hrasva) i and both ii and II was long (dirgha) i. Aspirated bh could
be entered either as bh or Bh. The current version no longer has the
feature so capitalizd vowel are dirgha and capitalized consonants are
aspirated. The following are several variants of the same word:

bhaa.saa
bhA.saa
bhA.sA
BA.sA
Baa.saa

I think that ITRANS never had such a feature. I do not know the exact
specification of ITRANS, I have never used it but you can look at the
xetex-devanagari package here https://ctan.org/pkg/xetex-devanagari

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz