[XeTeX] xelatex to doc?

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:29:00 CET 2018

Hi Bob,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM, Hueckstedt, Robert A. (rah2k)
<rah2k at virginia.edu> wrote:
> With a publisher’s permission I used xelatex to provide them copy, not
> camera-ready copy, for a long book that has Sanskrit in Devanagari  and an
> English translation. Of course, the files I provided the publisher are pdfs.
> Now, the publisher wants them in doc. When they try to cut and paste from
> the pdf to doc, none of the conjunct consonants are recognized in the doc
> file. I used the velthuis-sanskrit mapping, and I am wondering if using the
> RomDev mapping would make a difference. I somehow doubt it. Suggestions?

You can try to compile your TeX file to HTML using tex4ht. The HTML
code can be then pasted to Word. Basic command to compile XeTeX file
to HTML is

   make4ht -ux filename.tex

Development version of make4ht can compile also to the ODT format,
which can be opened directly in Word:

   make4ht -ux -f odt filename.tex

It is possible that you will need some additional configurations for
the correct compilation. It depends on used packages or custom macros
in the document.

Best regards,
Michal