[XeTeX] Devanagari ASCII to Unicode mapping

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:57:31 CET 2018

> Daniel Greenhoe wrote:
>
>> I think the conclusion is that I was going about the problem the wrong
>> way---that there is no one-to-one mapping between the Devanagari ASCII
>> font and unicode font. Rather, it is many-to-one.
>>
> Is the problem not, in fact, that there is not one "Devanagari ASCII font"
> but rather many, for each of which there is potentially a different mapping
> required ?

Yes, there are many fonts with non-unicode proprietary encodings. The web
sites with such fonts offer downlowd of a Windows executable which installs
these fonts into Windows, so I have never managed to view such pages on
Linux. It is not difficult to define the mapping for TECkit if you know the
encoding.