[XeTeX] Mixed Roman and Indian alphabets for Sanskrit

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Wed Feb 15 19:44:18 CET 2017

> So why does Polyglossia make \devanagarifont and \sanskritfont equivalent?
> There should be no such entity as \sanskritfont.  Sanskrit isn't a font or
> a script, it's a language.

Your point makes sense. Next version of babel will include a new
command which will allow to select a font depending on the script.
Something like (tentative syntax):

\usebabelfont[*devanagari]{FontName}

Currently there are lots of issues in babel because several languages
compete trying to set an equivalence with a script (eg, \textcyrillic
may switch to russian, or belarusian, or bulgarian, and so on). These
selectors are deprecated (including \textlatin), but they are still
defined and used by some languages.

Hopefully the new version will sort this out, with a clear separation
of languages and scripts (but I need to finish the new data files for
the languages, which has turned out to be more complicated than
expected).

Javier