[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 10:21:22 CET 2016

David Carlisle wrote:

>>  non-zero status codes should be reserved for various categories
>> of warning, error, severe error, fatal error, etc., should they not ?
>
> No I think the (now, whatever the convention in vms was) normal convention
> is that programs have a clear distinction between warnings and errors.
>
> The engine, and the user code in the document itself should be free to
> give warnings safe in the knowledge that they _won't_ stop a build with
> make etc.

"Make" (etc) are not really my concern, but the behaviour of TeXworks
is.  If TeXworks can decide whether or not to conceal the log file based
solely on the status code returned by TeX (XeTeX, etc), then that status
code should (again, IMVHO) be able to indicate "things were not right"
as well as "things were so badly wrong that I had to interrupt the
compilation in order to seek advice from the user".

** Phil.