[XeTeX] Faking small caps?

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Mon Jan 25 15:39:49 CET 2016

I have a text where certain words should be set in small caps. The
problem is that some of these words contain the character ŋ, which
isn't supported in small caps in the font used.  Might there be
some way to fake a small cap ŋ in these words -- preferably
smarter than search-replacing ŋ with {\small Ŋ} in those words?  I
already use a semantic custom command, \let to \textsc for those
words, so a solution which 'automatically' replaces ŋ with
something suitable inside that command would be preferable, but
I'm not sure to achieve such an automatic replacement, nor what
the smartest replacement may be. Leaving ŋ as lowercase looks
absolutely horrible!

TIA,

/bpj