[XeTeX] misplaced accents in printout only?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 19 13:39:23 CET 2016

Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> But when I /print/ his document on my HP LaserJet Pro 400 MFP
> printer, the underdots have turned into overdots, and are shifted
> slightly horizontally.  I attach a scan of the printed output,
> kkk-pdf-scan.pdf.

Unable to replicate that on a Dell 3310, HP CP1215, Epson R300 or Adobe
PostScript driver, Dominik, but in all cases I printed from Adobe
Acrobat Pro V7 rather than from one of your more esoteric PDF renderers.
Are you in a position to be able to test using a genuine Adobe rendering
engine ?

This not to suggest for one second that I disagree with Zdeněk's
putative hypothesis :

> A naive idea is to draw the accent first, then move back to the
> reference point and then draw "a". Doing this you have two move
> operations in a sequence, one from the end of the accent outline to
> the reference font, another from the reference point to the beginning
> of the "a" outline. this is not allowed. Some rasterizes can cope
> with it and the result looks as expected, some rasterizers do funny
> things (they usually delete one of the moves. It might be your case,
> so probably the font contains a sequence of two moves for the
> dotbelow accent.

but perhaps an Adobe rendering engine might handle things better.

** Phil.