[XeTeX] Diacritics in colour

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Jun 20 11:17:01 CEST 2015

Ross Moore wrote:

> In the experimental version of pdfTeX with support for Tagged PDF, we
> need a similar kind of variant to \pdfliteral . It is called
> 'enclose'.

> [...]

> It would be nice if any extension to literal specials in  xdvipdfmx
> used the same keywords for similar functionality.

What was the outcome of this ? I ask because having just recommended the
use of "\pdfliteral direct" to achieve text rotation on the TeXhax and
TeX-Live lists, I was embarrassed to realise that it cannot work in
XeTeX because of the lack of a \pdfliteral primitive. Whilst this
omission can be partially emulated using \special, the effect of the
"direct" is lost and replaced by "page" as Heiko reported :

>> \special{pdf:literal direct ...} (or short \special{pdf:code ...})
>>  is not equivalent to \pdfliteral direct{...} but rather to
>> \pdfliteral page{...} that ends a text section in the PDF output.

Philip Taylor