[XeTeX] XeTeX maintenance

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 00:56:56 CEST 2015

On 27 April 2015 at 23:41, Douglas McKenna <doug at mathemaesthetics.com>
wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote -
>
> > On 27/04/2015, at 10:05 AM, Douglas McKenna wrote:
> >
> >> Given that the number of TeX input files using ^^u is likely miniscule,
> and the number of those that follow the ^^u or ^^U with four or six hex
> digits is even smaller, it seemed like a worthwhile benefit vs.
> Regardless, as the future unfolds, more and more input files are going to
> be UTF-8 text files, and the need to escape 4-digit or 6-digit Unicode code
> points in a pure ASCII environment is going to gradually disappear.

That isn't at all clear, I don't see any evidence that the equivalent
&#....; notation in XML is getting less used. For runs of natural language
text then clearly using character data directly makes more sense
 but to get specific symbols accessing by code point often makes sense.

To get a math bold A, It is much easier to tell someone to enter ^^^^^1d400
than to tell them how
to enter �� in whatever system they are using.

David