[XeTeX] XeTeX maintenance

Douglas McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue Apr 28 01:48:35 CEST 2015

David Carlisle wrote -

> Introducing incompatible syntax for functionality shared across Unicode TeX extensions
> is a major headache for package authors. Please don't use this syntax!

Understood.

> That isn't at all clear, I don't see any evidence that the equivalent &#....; notation in XML is getting less used. For runs of natural language text then clearly using character data directly makes more sense
>  but to get specific symbols accessing by code point often makes sense.
>
> To get a math bold A, It is much easier to tell someone to enter ^^^^^1d400 than to tell them how
> to enter �� in whatever system they are using.

Of course, every Unicode reference on the web would be referring to it as U+1D4000.  Sigh.

Anyway, duly noted.  Except in the future, "whatever system they are using" will likely be able to handle the UTF-8 character as direct input, just like it appears (in my email reader) above as a math bold A.

Thanks.

Doug McKenna