[XeTeX] Σχετ: fontforge created characters in private use area

Erich Hoffmann erichhoffmann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 5 08:28:54 CEST 2014

Am Fri, 3 Oct 2014 14:34:48 -0700
schrieb Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com>:

> Obviously we need the font and a sample file to see what is going on.
>
> Στάλθηκε από το Yahoo Mail στο Android

Thank you, Apostolos.  I had not hoped that someone would really take
the time to actually look into the files.  This is why I re-tested the
thing several times before sending them, hence the delay.

I reinstalled fontforge, this time compiled from source, sources from
   14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012 (this was taken from the fontforge homepage as
   fontforge_full-20120731-b.tar.bz2).  Autotrace version is 0.31.1. ,
   this is a debian wheezy amd64.

Here are:

   The fontforge file Erchinese.sfd, containing only the three
   characters at unicode E000-E002 .  I exported the sfd file to both
   otf and ttf, and validated both each character as well as the font
   itself ("no problems").

   The xelatex source file input.tex

   The pdf output xelatex-output.ps

   The paps output from
      paps --font=Erchinese\ 14 0.tex > paps-output.ps

I realized that the characters E001 and E002 have no space after them,
so the characters overlap.  I could not find out how this works,
but this effect is _exactly_ what I want.  These are (want to be)
chinese characters, and contrary to the existing fonts I would like
to reconstract the full characters from their single strokes.

Please note that I really tried to solve that myself.

Thanks in advance,

erich