[XeTeX] wrong r+vocalic r ligature in FreeSerif font

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:52:44 CET 2014

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> Steve, you have done a lot of work, the Devanagari block is functional
>> and the glyphs are beautifull. One of my books was typeset with
>> FreeSans and highly educated readers in India like it. Thus I believe
>> that the result of your work should be somehow accessible to normal
>> users who are unable to build the font themselves from svn.
>

> There is another, almost certainly larger, group of users who would be
> excluded if it were not for the efforts of Norbert, Dominik et al : those
> who, like myself, do not believe that they /should/ have to build the font
> for themselves.  Fonts in the real world do not require building; one
> downloads them, one installs them, one uses them, and that is that, just as
> one downloads, installs and uses XeTeX.  There is no reason at all why the
> Freefont family should diverge from this ubiquitous and near-universal
> model.

There is nothing wrong with the building concept. All fonts are built
somehow. The difference is that there is always an official release
where the fonts are build by the developers, users just download
*.ttf, *.otf etc and install. Subversion repository is for those who
want to try the latest revision and are willing to take the risk that
the latest revision is broken. I think that most normal users do not
know how to build the font. It would be nice to have a release that
works with the current XeTeX.

> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/