[XeTeX] XeTeX (/not/ XeLaTeX) : Marginal kerning, font protrusion, hyperlinks

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Apr 25 20:24:58 CEST 2014

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2014, Philip Taylor wrote:
>> I'm sorry, what has LaTeX to do with any of this ?
>
> You don't want to hear about XeLaTeX, but you write:
>
>> (X)DVIPDFM(X).  Since (X)DVIPDFM(X) is indeed an integral part of the XeTeX
>> tool chain, I think that documenting how to access its functionality (with
>
> The tool chain is XeLaTeX.  LaTeX is just as much an integral part of that
> as XDVIPDFMX is.  Users of this tool chain use all three together by
> typing a single command and don't care much which level executes which
> macro.  It still makes sense to ask for documentation of each component
> alone, because people including yourself do also use the tools separately.
> But having made that request, "integrated tool chain" is not a sound basis
> to ask for documentation of a "XeTeX and XDVIPDFMX but not LaTeX"
> combination, which is neither the components alone nor the complete
> tool chain.  It should be no surprise that documentation of pure XeTeX is
> documentation of pure XeTeX and does not include XDVIPDFMX features.

I'm sorry, Matthew, I can only think you are confusing XeTeX with some
other system.  If I type (for example)

	XeTeX My-file

and I have /a priori/ a file "My-file.tex", then XeTeX will process that
file and emit (assuming no compilation errors) a file "My-file.pdf".  I
do not have to type (for example)

	XeTeX My-file
	(X)DviPdfm(X)

That latter stage is intrinsic to XeTeX and requires no explicit user
action.

If, however, I want to compile (for example) "My-LaTeX-file.tex", then
I either have to load the format explicitly :

	XeTeX &LaTeX My-LaTeX-file

or I have to invoke a command that is already aliased to that :
	XeLaTeX My-LaTeX-file

Thus LaTeX is /not/ intrinsic to the XeTeX tool chain, whilst
(X)DviPdfm(x) is.

Philip Taylor