[XeTeX] XeTeX (/not/ XeLaTeX) : Marginal kerning, font protrusion, hyperlinks

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Fri Apr 25 18:40:17 CEST 2014

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014, Philip Taylor wrote:
> I'm sorry, what has LaTeX to do with any of this ?

You don't want to hear about XeLaTeX, but you write:

> (X)DVIPDFM(X).  Since (X)DVIPDFM(X) is indeed an integral part of the XeTeX
> tool chain, I think that documenting how to access its functionality (with

The tool chain is XeLaTeX.  LaTeX is just as much an integral part of that
as XDVIPDFMX is.  Users of this tool chain use all three together by
typing a single command and don't care much which level executes which
macro.  It still makes sense to ask for documentation of each component
alone, because people including yourself do also use the tools separately.
But having made that request, "integrated tool chain" is not a sound basis
to ask for documentation of a "XeTeX and XDVIPDFMX but not LaTeX"
combination, which is neither the components alone nor the complete
tool chain.  It should be no surprise that documentation of pure XeTeX is
documentation of pure XeTeX and does not include XDVIPDFMX features.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.